Migraines and Depression
Migraine headaches and depression, most commonly found in women, affect the lives of many. These conditions are often difficult to treat due to the wide range of causes and treatment plans available. Botanical medicines can be effective in treating these conditions due to the chemistry involved in depression and migraines.
In women, about 40% of migraines are non-menstrual migraines, while the other 60% are menstrual migraines. Menstrual migraines can be menstrual-related or pure-menstrual migraines. There are other common hormonally-related migraines in women, including those during pregnancy and those that are postpartum. Perimenopausal migraines are also caused by a hormonal shift, leading to an exacerbation of migraines during this time period, whether a pre-existing migraine sufferer or not.
Depression has a variety of causes, including: food allergies, heavy metals, nutritional issues, medications, recreational drugs, alcohol, nicotine, sleep problems, stress, trauma or medical conditions. These medical conditions may include a new serious diagnosis, life–altering or threatening illness, infections, chronic pain, PMS, postpartum, perimenopause or early menopause, hypothyroid, insomnia or sleep apnea.
The white paper and webinar below examine both evidence-based and traditional approaches to using botanicals in both migraines and depression. By examining scientific evidence, the central nervous system, mechanisms of action, and the historical and anecdotal uses of these plants, their effectiveness in treating migraines and depression will be demonstrated.
Webinar - When the Brain Needs Help: Botanical Strategies for Migraines and Depression
Download webinar Recorded December 4, 2012. Presented by Dr. Tori Hudson, ND.
Some of the chemistry involved in depression and migraines can lead us directly to a better understanding of the role of botanicals in treating these common conditions, which are both more prevalent in women. Scientific evidence, central nervous system mechanisms and historical and anecdotal use will be highlighted for St. John’s wort, rhodiola, lemon balm, ginkgo, black cohosh, butterbur, feverfew, ginger and more.
After reviewing the material on Botanical Strategies for Migraines and Depression, take the quiz to test your knowledge! After successful completion of the quiz, you can print out a Certificate of Achievement for your records.